After parenting for so many years your world is suddenly filled with silence as the last birdy has flown the coop and is now safe in their new college abode. After winning the battle of raising a family you are finally rewarded with a space to call your own.
The new found room can now fulfill dreams of a space catered to specific wants and needs.
Even with the wars battled when the kids are at home, when they are suddenly gone the quiet is a reminder of how much they are missed. This is a good time to keep yourself occupied. Redecorating the abode is a great way to stay busy at the same time creating a beautiful space to live and relax in.
The kids may be gone for the moment but they will be back so it will be necessary to prepare your new room for double duty.
Save on space by getting rid of the traditional bed.
- Purchase something that will double as a place for you to sit and read as well as a bed. Traditional sleeper sofas can be uncomfortable and futons can look clunky. Your new piece of furniture can look good, be comfortable, as well as priced right.
Check out IKEA, for a great assortment of sofa beds and futons with an assortment of mattresses to choose from. The Lycksele is very comfortable and comes as a small armless loveseat that fits into small quarters. It opens to a full size bed. There is also a Lycksele chair that opens to a twin size bed. Instead of the sofa consider two chairs that will be a welcome comfort for a couple of overnighters. They have many covers to choose from or have your own custom cover easily made.
Make the room into a quiet place to escape to.
- Mates may take over the basement, garage, and everywhere else. This could be a refuge. Have your sitting space for reading and contemplating. Add some nice scents and music.
- This will keep the computers out of the bedroom and family room.
Now you have your chance of creating a dream workout room.
- Research the exercise equipment that you have been longing for. Determine how much room you will need. Perhaps you want to invest in one machine and have an open space for aerobics and yoga.
Design a room that promotes creativity.
- Convert the space into a place where you can be comfortable in to knit, draw, paint, do pottery, or make jewelry. Cover a wall in cork boards to display your art work, and to post notes and patterns.
Create a dream media room.
- Invest in the large screen TV with all of the bells and whistles. Add a refrigerator and microwave. Sink into a comfy chair and enjoy the experience.
Combine a few dream rooms into one multipurpose room.
- Prepare for guests with new beds and bedding.
- Build a wall of cabinetry for storage and books. IKEA has wonderful shelves that create a built-in effect without the high cost.
- Invest in a nice TV to hang on the wall. The TV can easily be incorporated into your wall of shelving and storage.
- Create an open desk top to plop the lap top on or to work on your craft projects.
- Add an elliptical machine or tread mill in a corner. You do not want to waste precious space so make sure that you use the equipment. The best tip for working out is to be consistent exercising at the same time each day or every other day.
Have fun with your new found space. Do not feel guilty, the kids are sure to be having fun with their new freedoms and lives away from home. After giving of yourself to so many for so long, you deserve to enjoy your entire home and your life. Make the new space in the abode a place where you can be yourself. Turn up the tunes and never be afraid to dance!
Show me your support and subscribe to this blog, sign in under email subscription at the top of the column on the blog’s right side.
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design,Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for Examiner.com.
Visit weberlifedesign.com for further inspired professional design and lifestyle advice!