In today’s world of iPhones, iPads, and Androids we have come to rely on applications for all of our needs. There is an app for everything; no more getting stuck in traffic or being lost. No more having to be waded down with books and paperwork; have all documents needed in the palm of your hand. A teenager is never seen without an electronic device attached to them. Metro inhabitants are lost without the apps to assist in their daily lives.
Interior Decorating can be overwhelming; now there is an app (or apps) for that!
There are great apps to take advantage of to help with measuring and floor planning.
Home Sizer by Armchair Design, $2.99 iTunes
- “Home Sizer allows you to enter the dimensions and name of each room while it calculates the area of the rooms as well as the cumulative usable square footage and estimate gross square footage of the entire house. There’s a notes field for each room so you can keep track of room-by-room ideas or “todos.”
My Measures & Dimensions, $3.99 iTunes
- This app is a great organizational tool to take on décor shopping excursions. “Take a photo of an object you wish to store dimensions of. Then you add dimensions: arrows, angels and text. Now your measures are stored and you can see and share them anytime anywhere.”
iHandy Carpenter, $1.99 iTunes
No need to carry around a tape measure, level, or plumb tool. This app does it all from your iPhone. There are 5 tools in this Carpenter tool kit:
- A plumb bob, the easiest way for you to verify the verticality of lines or walls
- A surface level, the best tool to level any flat surface
- A bubble level bar, exactly as you can see in carpenter tool kit shops, and more beautiful!
- A steel protractor, measuring angles from 0 to 180 degrees.
- A steel ruler, supporting both inches and centimeters. By swiping it left and right, the ruler is capable to measure things much longer than your iPhone!
- Once calibrated, the plumb bob, surface level and level bar can also be used as an inclinometer/clinometer by reading the angles on the screen.
Home Design Interior Space Planning Tool – Mark On Call, $1.99 iTunes
“Created by interior designer Mark Lewison, Mark On Call™ for the Apple® iPhone and iPod Touch, lets the interior design professional, their clients—and do-it-yourselfers alike—plan, preview and carry out their design visions while staying organized and within budget.”
- This is an amazing multipurpose tool that allows for completely planning out a design. You can even take pictures of actual finishes, fabrics, rugs, furnishings, and flooring from your favorite manufacturers and insert them into your floor plan.
LivingRoom for iPad – Floor Plans & Interior Design, $4.99 iTunes
- “LivingRoom for iPad gives you the tools to plan and design your space — from the floor plan to laying out furniture to choosing materials. Pick from a large library of objects to place in your rooms, keep notes for each project, even add custom textures from your photo library! LivingRoom for iPad lets you see, touch, and share your design ideas.”
Home 3D, $6.99 iTunes
- This is a great app that allows you to have a floor plan to try out different finishes and furnishings. First do a layout to add and position rooms in your floor plan. Then place furniture, fixtures and appliances in each of the rooms. Take a virtual 3D tour of your space and set the materials for the floors and walls.
MagicPlan by Sensopia, Free iTunes
- This is user friendly for everyone longing to create a plan for the abode! “MagicPlan is the only application that MEASURES, DRAWS and PUBLISHES an INTERACTIVE FLOOR PLAN on the web, just by taking pictures. With MagicPlan, EVERYONE CAN CREATE A FLOOR PLAN IN FEW MINUTES ONLY.”
Now you are on your way to your new beautifully designed décor. Stay tuned for Part 2 to learn about great apps to assist in choosing the right paints for your interior design project.
Enjoy creating your design plan and never be afraid to dance!
Show me your support and subscribe to this blog, sign in under email subscription at the top of the column on the blog’s right side.
Visit weberlifedesign.com for further inspired professional design advice!