As the world’s climate changes hurricanes are turning into super storms flooding and destroying homes that have never even seen water in their basements before. With the widening flood zones it is even more important to reevaluate the construction of abodes.
Build a beautiful flood proof home and be prepared for future storms.
Flooding can be overwhelming with loss of homes and belongings. No matter how many sandbags or boarding up windows it is hard to understand the complete devastation that a storm of huge magnitude can have destroying entire abodes and lives.
The designers of F9 Productions, Alex Gore and Lance Cayko, have designed a beautiful home that they call a flood house. It seemingly floats above the ground daring the wind and waters to try and take it down.
The “Flood House” is a beautiful structure with amenities designed to protect decor as well as precious loved ones.
- The raised home design elevates treasured items away from rising waters. The house is also built upon an elevated ground plane to protect the main level from flooding.
- Debris protection is maintained by steel siding panels protecting the home from falling debris and also acts as a shield against large floating objects.
- All bedrooms, including the master suite, are elevated off the ground level keeping precious items safe from flooding.
- The washer and dryer is elevated off of the ground along with all electrical outlets in order to protect from any minor flooding.
- Harsh east and west light is filtered though operable steel siding panels as intense summer light dapples though horizontal sun screens thus illuminating the interior.
- Water is collected in case of infrastructure failure through a low sloped roof that drains towards a cistern located at the rear of the home.
- Solar Panels, which line the roof, are ready to supply power during the midst of a regional power outage.
- The skylight above the dining room filters daylight throughout the space.
- Warmth is trapped in the home by insulating the roof and floor with R-50 spray foam insulation (grey floor box indicates spray foam insulation areas).
- Cars are sheltered under the main living level and are warmed by automatic starters in order to fight the severe winter cold.
- Usual sand bagging efforts are reduced dramatically by the small footprint.
- Safe boat access off of the sun deck allows for the delivery of fresh supplies and permits emergency rescue entrance.
This contemporary abode provides warmth and privacy as well as built-in storage.
- Privacy is provided by using translucent glass on the lower 1/3 of the windows.
- Supplementary heat is supplied to the home through the gas fireplace.
- A main storage wall located in the center of the home provides space for emergency goods, books, blankets, dishes, and other items.
Enjoy welcoming guests into the abode and have fun entertaining.
- A concrete path leads to the front door.
- The entry serves as the main artery into the home.
- A comfortable living/dining room arrangement provides space for entertaining.
- The kitchen, which features a full height pantry, sits where one can observe action on the back sun deck and the living room simultaneously.
- The sun deck features a fire pit, lounge chairs, a bar, and dining table.
- Tools, toys, and lawn equipment are stored on the entry level.
- For a growing household there is room provided for optional expansion space.
Enjoy a peaceful existence in the future abode without worry of rising waters. Protect your loved ones and belongings while living in a secured home ready for entertaining and fun. Stay safe and never be afraid to dance!
Show me your support and subscribe to this blog, sign in under email subscription at the top of the column on the blog’s right side.
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design,Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for Examiner.com.
Visit weberlifedesign.com for further inspired professional design and lifestyle advice!